Surpass SafariSurpass Safari provides patron access to your collection as well as a wealth information about your library.
Three Editions of Surpass Safari
Desktop Edition for Windows
Ideal for small libraries with a single computer or small network
Runs on an in-house web server to make your catalog available via the Internet.
Welcome: The Surpass Safari welcome screen allows for quick searches and also provides a wealth of information about your library. Add your logo to the top, as shown below. The screen is composed of “widgets” that can be placed and configured by the administrator. A few of the widgets include: library calendar, bulletins, lists of new materials or popular titles, list of links to interesting web sites and more. Once added to the home page they can be rearranged with drag-and-drop ease.
Search Results: Safari returns a list of resources to match the search terms submitted. Users can check availability, save items to a personal “bookbag,” and reserve materials. The search results shown here include book jacket cover images which can enhance your catalog with an optional subscription to Safari Selections. A pop-up windows shows item details when the mouse pointer pauses over an item.
Enhanced Content: Enjoy added content in your Safari catalog with Safari Selections. Bring book cover jacket images, professional book reviews, table of contents, author notes and more into your catalog listings with this affordable subscription. Safari Selections is an annual subscription option for Safari owners and now includes a subscription to Awards & Honors. Read more about Safari Selections enhanced content subscriptions.
Shelf Browse: When viewing the details for an interesting book, click “browse shelf” to view nearby items on the shelf. Arrows to the right and left of the list box allow the user to continue to browse the collection in shelf-order to either side of the selected item.
Patron Account Access: Members and staff can use their ID and PIN to access their accounts. They can see items they have on loan, hold, or reserve. They can also renew their own materials from their account screen.
Bookbags: Patron book bags can be used for storing selected items from multiple searches. Book bags allow members to build a bibliography. By logging in, the patron can even store the book bag for later use.
Star Ratings and Patron Reviews: Members can rate books with a 5-star rating or submit book reviews for possible publication to the catalog. Reviews must be approved by library staff before publication.
Recommended Reading Lists: A recommended reading list is a prepared bibliography available for browsing by other patrons. Each list can have a description and a representative graphic or photo attached. Create lists for special research projects, holidays, favorites, and more! Lists can be created by any authorized user (such as teachers and library staff) by using Safari catalog.
Safari Explore: The Explore feature provides icon-based browsing to Safari users. Safari includes over 200 beautiful graphics with the program in two artistic styles that appeal to all ages. Easily customize Explore by adding, editing, hiding, and re-arranging buttons. Create buttons that launch searches, link to other pages of buttons, launch web sites, even link to local documents! Safari comes with several pre-configured buttons.
Safari is the Windows-based patron catalog for Surpass. If you’re interested in a web-based catalog, be sure to check out Web Safari. A key advantage of Safari over Web Safari is flexibility in licensing. If you have fewer than 10 workstations, you can license Safari for just a few stations.
Surpass Reading Program Service: Surpass RPS automatically updates MARC records with reading levels, point values, and quiz numbers for:
- Accelerated Reader™
- Lexile© Framework
- Scholastic Reading Counts!©
Surpass Reading Program Service (RPS) will reduce the time it takes for students to find materials. When it’s easier to find interesting titles, students read more! Read more about Surpass Reading Program Service.
- Customizable welcome page with configurable “widgets” to create a portal-type page
- A variety of color/design themes to choose from
- New Materials & Popular Titles Lists
- Explore: visual icon-based browsing
- Facility & Event Calendar
- Library bulletins/news items
- Save items to “my bookbag” and they will be there for your next session
- Patron submitted book reviews and star ratings
- Simple and advanced searches
- Sort results lists by date, call number, author, title or material type
- Option to display item summaries in results list to help locate needed materials faster
- Accelerated Reader™ and Reading Counts© searches
- Hot links to search for materials by the same author or on the same subjects
- Place holds or reserves on materials
- Link to related web sites or local documents
- View integrated book jacket graphics, summaries, table of contents and other enhanced content with Safari Selections
- View materials at 3 levels of detail
- Customize the look and feel on a per-library basis
- Limit searches to specific material types/categories