Governor Allan Shivers wanted to do more to give back to his community and in 1966 he did that with the addition of a public library. The Victorian building housing the Allan Shivers Museum was built by Robert A. Cruse in 1881. Mr. and Mrs. Allan Shivers secured possession of the building and had it moved to its present location where it was restored and converted into a museum for mementos of the Allan Shivers gubernatorial service. Adjoining the museum, a completely equipped library for reading, study, and research was constructed. The formal dedication was held in October 1966. In 2003, under the direction of Rosemary Mosey-Bunch with her husband, John Bunch, the Children’s Reading Room was created in the area between the two buildings. The most recent extension, the John and Rosemary Bunch Reading and Meeting Room, opened in late August 2010 and focuses on the senior population of Tyler County.